The Youth Advocacy Corps, a pilot program led by NOVA with funding from the Office for Victims of Crime (OVC), aims to elevate the next generation of youth leaders in victim services. In collaboration with researchers and college campuses, the Youth Advocacy Corps will uplift and celebrate the voices of marginalized youth in victim advocacy by providing student fellows with training, mentorship, and a paid field-placement in a local victim service organization. The Youth Advocacy Corps will be developed in partnership with Rainbow Research and five minority-serving campus pilot sites: Aaniiih Nakoda College, Dominican University, The University of Texas at El Paso, University of New Mexico, and Coahoma Community College.
NOVA kicked off the first day of National Crime Victims’ Rights Week (NCVRW) by hosting a Youth Advocacy Corps Town Hall for college students, community members, and victim service providers at the University of New Mexico (UNM) in Albuquerque on April 24, 2023. View Press Release.
The Youth Advocacy Corps has been featured in the following news and media outlets:
- University of New Mexico Newsroom – article https://news.unm.edu/news/nova-unm-to-announce-new-victim-assistance-group
- UNM Newsroom: Nova and UNM to Introduce Fresh Victim Assistance Group https://www.bollyinside.com/news/crime-and-justice/unm-newsroom-nova-and-unm-to-introduce-fresh-victim-assistance-group/
- KUNM – 9 FM(Radio Station) Live From The University Of New Mexico – article https://www.kunm.org/local-news/2023-04-25/next-generation-of-victim-advocates-will-help-young-survivors-of-violence
- National Crime Victims’ Rights Week – A message from the OVC Director Kristina Rose newsletter https://ovc.ojp.gov/news/announcements/2023-ncvrw-message-ovc-director-kristina-rose?utm_campaign=ncvrw2023&utm_content=ncvrw_message_from_director&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
- KOAT Action News “Youth Advocacy Program Underway to Help Survivors of Abuse” – video segment https://www.koat.com/article/new-mexico-advocacy-program-abuse/43703778
- NPR All Things Considered April 24, 2023 – show segment https://www.npr.org/programs/all-things-considered/2023/04/24/1171719631/all-things-considered-for-april-24-2023?showDate=2023-04-24
Media and Press can download our Youth Advocacy Corps Media Packet which includes a one-pager on the Youth Advocacy Corps and a copy of our Youth Advocacy Corps Town Hall Launch event Press Release from April 24, 2023 as well as statistics on youth victimization from the National Center for Victims of Crime.
For media inquires and interview requests please contact email@example.com
Youth Advocacy Corps Partners
This page was produced by NOVA under grant number #15POVC-22-GK-03572-NONF, awarded by the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this page are those of the contributors and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.